Current:Home > reviewsFlorida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult -Capitatum
Florida prosecutor says 17-year-old suspect in Halloween fatal shootings will be charged as adult
Rekubit View
Date:2025-04-06 13:24:48
ORLANDO, Fla. (AP) — A 17-year-old suspect in a shooting that killed two people and wounded seven others during a Halloween celebration that drew 75,000 revelers to the streets of downtown Orlando, Florida, last week has been charged as an adult, a prosecutor said Monday.
Jaylen Edgar was charged as an adult with two second-degree murder charges and a count of attempted murder, though the case will be presented before a grand jury, which could decide to up the charges to first-degree murder, said State Attorney Andrew Bain.
“This decision was not made lightly, and only after reviewing all the available evidence,” Bain said at a news conference in Orlando.
Edgar is accused of opening fire during a Halloween street celebration that drew tens of thousands of costumed revelers to downtown Orlando’s bar and restaurant district early Friday. Besides the two men who were killed, an additional seven people were wounded and a woman was trampled as people fled in terror, according to the Orlando Police Department.
One of the Halloween celebrants killed and another who was injured were students at the University of Central Florida in Orlando.
Edgar was tackled at the scene by some of the 100 police officers who were patrolling downtown Orlando.
Among the factors that went into the decision to charge Edgar as an adult were “the brazen nature of the crime” and the fact that multiple people were shot, the prosecutor said.
“To shoot into a massive crowd like that shows a total disregard for life and the only recourse is to charge the defendant as an adult because it fits the egregious nature of the crime,” Bain said. “This was a blatant execution in the middle of our streets, and so that’s something that we can’t have in our community.”
There was no online court docket for Edgar so it couldn’t be determined if he had an attorney. Moreover, the case originated in juvenile court, where records are not public. An email to the Orange County Public Defender’s office seeking information was not immediately returned Monday.
Bain wouldn’t disclose whether authorities knew of a motive and said detectives were still determining how he obtained the handgun.
The Halloween celebration, which is one of the biggest events in downtown Orlando each year, took place about 10 miles (16 kilometers) from Orlando’s tourist district, and it primarily attracts central Florida residents.
In response to the shootings, Orlando Mayor Buddy Dyer last Friday issued a local state of emergency for the downtown entertainment area. Under the weeklong order, alcohol sales will end at midnight, and a curfew will be enforced from 1 a.m. to 5 a.m.
During past Halloween celebrations, police would close off downtown streets and use dogs to screen for weapons as people walked past entry points, but they stopped doing that after Florida lawmakers passed a permit-less concealed carry law in 2023.
veryGood! (5317)
Related
- Current, future North Carolina governor’s challenge of power
- Matthew Perry’s ‘Friends’ costars reminiscence about the late actor
- Former NFL Player Devon Wylie Dead at 35
- An Iranian rights lawyer detained for allegedly not wearing hijab was freed on bail, husband says
- South Korea's acting president moves to reassure allies, calm markets after Yoon impeachment
- Thousands of California scientists strike over stalled contract talks
- Former WWE Star Gabbi Tuft Shares Transition Journey After Coming Out as Transgender
- A cargo plane returns to JFK Airport after a horse escapes its stall, pilot dumps 20 tons of fuel
- Could your smelly farts help science?
- MLB Cy Young Awards: Yankees' Gerrit Cole is unanimous, Padres lefty Blake Snell wins second
Ranking
- South Korean president's party divided over defiant martial law speech
- Justin Timberlake's Red Carpet Reunion With *NSYNC Doubled as a Rare Date Night With Jessica Biel
- Prosecutor asks judge to revoke bond for Harrison Floyd in Georgia election case
- Their families wiped out, grieving Palestinians in Gaza ask why
- At site of suspected mass killings, Syrians recall horrors, hope for answers
- Business lobby attacks as New York nears a noncompete ban, rare in the US
- Woman dies after being stabbed in random attack at Louisiana Tech University; 2 others hospitalized
- Their families wiped out, grieving Palestinians in Gaza ask why
Recommendation
'As foretold in the prophecy': Elon Musk and internet react as Tesla stock hits $420 all
More cantaloupe products added to recall over possible salmonella contamination
Vatican plans to gradually replace car fleet with electric vehicles in deal with VW
Chase turns deadly in rural Georgia when fleeing suspect crashes into stopped car, killing woman
Highlights from Trump’s interview with Time magazine
Prosecutor asks judge to revoke bond for Harrison Floyd in Georgia election case
New Jersey drops ‘so help me God’ oath for candidate filings
Can US, China Climate Talks Spur Progress at COP28?